Terms of Sale
All sales final, no returns, exchanges or refunds.
by processing with the online payment you agree to these terms.
Other Shirts Of Interest :
A Little More About The Bronx
The Bronx is the northernmost of the five boroughs of New York City, in the U.S. state of New York. Coextensive with Bronx County, it was the last of the 62counties of New York State to be incorporated. Located north of Manhattan and Queens, and south of Westchester County, the Bronx is the only borough that is located primarily on the mainland.
The Bronx River was named after Jonas Bronck, who created the first settlement as part of the New Netherland colony in 1639, and eventually lent its name to the entire borough
Jonas Bronck (died 1643) was an immigrant to the Dutch colony of New Netherland after whom the Bronx River, and by extension, the county and New York City borough of The Bronx are named. A mural at theBronx County Courthouse depicting Bronck’s arrival was created in the early 1930s by James Monroe Hewlett.
The history of the Bronx started with European colonization in 1639. The Bronx was originally part of Westchester County, but it was ceded to New York County in fragments before it became Bronx County.
The Bronx is the only County named after a commoner. Farmer Jonas Bronck. Kings County, Richmond County, Queens County were named after royalty.
Things To Know About The Bronx
- ~ The Bronx is the only borough connected to the U.S. mainland along with a tiny piece of Manhattan.
- ~ The Capitol Dome and the Lincoln Monument were made in the Bronx
- ~ The Bronx Zoo first opened in 1899, consists of 265 acres, has 5000 animals and 700 species
- ~ The Bronx covers 41 square miles and as of 1990 had a population of 1,203,789 people.
- ~ The Bronx was the first industrial site started by Jordan L. Mott located at 3rd Avenue and the East River in 1896 and was named Mott Haven
- ~ One of the most famous roadways in the Bronx was begun in 1902 and completed in 1909 and ran from East 161St. up to Mosholu Parkway then later a lower section was added down to East 138th St, which was then Mott Avenue. Then in 1927 the entire stretch became known as “The Grand Concourse.” It was known as “The Jewel In The Bronx.” Designed in the early 1890’s by Louis S. Risse for carriage access to the Northern Bronx with fewer intersections than usual. Buildings are of Art Deco design